Saturday 22 June 2013

It's a trap!

There's a minor meme out there about the difficulty Germans have saying the word 'squirrel'. Here's an especially annoying example.

I have a German colleague, and a photo of a squirrel on my iPad (one of about 100 my wife and I saw in Central Park - each one of which was greeted with a shout of 'Squirrel!!" from me, to looks from passers-by that ranged from amused through puzzled to alarmed and accompanied by an increasingly exasperated look from my wife, but I digress... ).

So I decided to try it out. Not only did he not have too much trouble saying it, he returned the favour and asked me to pronounce the German word for squirrel.

Follow the link. Listen to the pronounciation. Try it. Try it again. Try it a thousand times - it won't make any freaking difference.

Admiral Ackbar was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment