Friday 17 January 2014

Baby this town rips the bones from your back... ooo, three ply!

So I'm in the supermarket, making my way between 'personal items' and 'dog food', when I become aware of the music playing over the PA - the racing drums and uptempo riff that is the opening to Born to Run.

(For those who lack a classical education, here it is)


This song was a revelation to me in the 70s, and has happily tracked along with me over the years, even if I relate more to the more wistful 'reflective of a youth now behind me' version these days (as, I suspect, does Bruce):


Anyway, back in the dog food aisle, it suddenly dawned on me that the greatest "1, 2, 3, 4!" count-in in rock history (3:00 in the first YouTube clip) is now deemed suitable for background supermarket music.

Gawd, I feel old.

Note added: even Bruce is taking the piss out of this song now. Coles: all is forgiven.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful album - though I think Rolling Stone magazine's "I have seen the future and it is Bruce Springsteen" was a little over the top.

    Want to feel really old? Wait until someone in their late twenties expresses astonishment that these "old black really big CD's" had music on BOTH sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't quit you lol

    Here comes an old man rant. You'll know this because it is peppered with plenty of "I's".

    I went to a LOT of concerts in the olden days. Locals or imports, I saw them - according to my taste, mental state, or who I was keen on.

    The thing is, way back when, the cost of a ticket to see the "hot" overseas act was about (+/- 10%) as the act's latest album.

    That has changed and boy has it changed. I haven't been to a live act in quite a while and thought "why not go out with a bang" - not the last one ever but I'd like to go to at least one more live performance.

    Springsteen (I have never seen him) is playing at Hunter Gardens on the weekend of Sat/Sun Feb 22/23 2014.

    Your cheapest ticket, bum on grass and completely open air ("we play rain or shine")?

    Over $140. These are the cheapest "seats".

    I guess the professional music model is returning to the pre-Edison days, where the musicians eked out an existence by playing - not recorded music sales.

    Here's a link: http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/bruce-springsteen-and-the-e-street-pokolbin-new-south-wales-23-02-2014/event/13004B10AF48688D?artistid=860453&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1&tm_link=search_msg-0_13004B10AF48688D

    ReplyDelete